February 28, 2013
Acorn International is now offering IFC Performance Standards Training for Extractive Industries.
Acorn International offers 4-hour and 8-hour courses on application of the International Finance Corporation Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability to extractive industry developments worldwide. The course covers the basics of the IFC Performance Standards and what those receiving financing (either directly or as partners) need to know to minimize surprises and delays in meeting the Standards. Modules include:
- Overview of Performance Standards 1-8
- Specific EHS and Sectoral Guidance, Equator Principals, and Related Guidelines
- Principals and Practical Aspects of Public Consultation, Disclosure and Free/Prior/Informed Consent
- Case Studies and Lessons Learned in Applying the PS
- Key Challenges in Applying the PS in Extractive Industry Development Projects
- Key Skills and Resources Needed to Meet the Requirements of the PS
- Group Exercises to Practice and Test Knowledge of Application of the PS
What You Will Gain from the Training
Participants of the 4-hour course will develop a familiarity with the requirements of the Performance Standards and how these will apply to business decisions and schedule/resource planning requirements for development projects. Those taking the 8-hour course will be armed with a confident understanding of the Performance Standards and related guidelines, an understanding of key challenges in applying them to development projects, knowledge of practical approaches for meeting these challenges, and practice in applying key elements of the Standards in two simulated exercises.
Acorn International works extensively with extractive industries worldwide to integrate and help apply the IFC Performance Standards as part of company-wide management systems. We also work for financial institutions and governments to help them monitor company conformance with the Standards. Our trainers have 10-30 years of experience in working with industries worldwide to understand and apply the Performance Standards and preceding World Bank requirements.
If you would like to know more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.